While the Gamecock Women’s Basketball team may not have won the national championship over the weekend, we thought the team’s accomplishments this season were still deserving of celebration.
ICYMI — the Gamecocks played in the Final Four against Stanford (another No. 1 seed team) on Friday night. After a hard fight, the team lost in the final seconds of the game 66-65. On Saturday, the team was welcomed home by fans by the Colonial Life Arena.
Friday night’s game was the team’s third time making it to the Final Four in the program’s history — the first in 2016 and the second in 2017 when the team won the national championship. And while the NCAA Tournament was canceled in 2020 due to the coronavirus, the Gamecocks were highly favored to win the title last year.
So in celebration of a great season and great accomplishments, let’s take a look at some of the awards collected by the team this year:
- The team won the SEC Tournament.
- Head Coach Dawn Staley celebrated her 500th career win at the first game of the NCAA Tournament.
- Aliyah Boston was named a Naismith Women’s Player of the Year finalist.
- Aliyah Boston was selected as a First Team All-American.
- Zia Cooke and Aliyah Boston were selected as All-SEC First Team members.
- Aliyah Boston was named the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year.
- Aliyah Boston won the Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Award.
- Zia Cooke was named an Ann Meyers Drysdale Award finalist.