Pump the brakes before you take another tee-riffic ride in a golf cart. From riding across the golfing green around Limrick or Cobblestone, to taking a spin around the neighborhood — golf carts get plenty of road time in Columbia.
Before you consider adding this recreational vehicle to your garage take a look at these need-to-know rules for these cruisers for South Carolina:
- The golf cart must be insured, permitted, and registered with the South Carolina DMV.
- The golf cart must remain within 4 miles of the home where it is registered.
- It may be operated on roads with posted speeds of less than 35 mph.
- Golf carts may only be operated during daylight hours.
- The driver must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver’s license and gold cart permit.
To receive a golf cart permit, you must do all of the following:
- Complete the Golf Cart Permit Registration Form
- Provide proof of insurance for the golf cart + a valid driver’s license number
- Pay $5
These golf cart permits may be purchased at any DMV branch. After you have a permit, the decal must be placed on the golf cart at all times.
Ready to hit the gas and shop your own golf cart? Check out these local shops:
🛺 Custom Golf Carts Columbia 519 Chapin Rd., Chapin
🛺 Palmetto Kustom Karts, 4206 Augusta Rd., Lexington
🛺 Ricochet Custom Golf Carts, 10601 Two Notch Rd., Elgin
🛺 Tidewater Carts, 4014 Fernandina Rd.
If you need extra reassurance, take a look at what Trooper Bob had to say on the topic.