Last night, the City of Columbia Council passed an emergency ordinance, which will require all residents (ages 5 and up) to wear a mask in public and when visiting businesses in order to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The ordinance will go into effect immediately and will last for 30 days.
The City of Cayce passed a similar ordinance on Tuesday that will be in effect for 60 days beginning on Fri., Sept. 10 and the City of West Columbia also has a mask mandate that will be in place for 30 days.
The City of Columbia ordinance will affect those within the city limits. Unsure of where those lie? Check out this map.
So when will masks be required?
○ Inside a public building
○ Waiting to enter a public building
○ Interacting with others outdoors within 6 feet of each other
○ In public and private businesses
○ Public and private transportation
○ Walking in public when it isn’t possible to maintain 6 feet distance from others
When do I not need to wear a mask?
○ In personal vehicles
○ In an enclosed space or when you’re only with members of your household
○ During outdoor physical activity not within 6 feet of others
○ While actively eating, drinking, or smoking
○ Within religious establishments
○ When a mask causes or aggravates a health condition
○ When a mask would prevent the receipt of personal services