Asked: What kinds of senior-friendly activities does Columbia have to offer?
Answered: With the help of COLAtoday readers and the local senior living specialists at Merrill Gardens, we’ve rounded up 8 options for senior Soda Citizens to learn, explore, and have fun in the Columbia area:
1. SC State Museum
- Offerings: 70,000+ artifacts in interactive exhibitions celebrating South Carolina’s art, natural history, culture, and science + technology
- Address: 301 Gervais St.
- Hours: Tues.-Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. 12-5 p.m.
- Website: http://scmuseum.org/
- Pricing: $8.95 general admission; $7.95 for seniors
2. Congaree National Park
- Offerings: 20,000 acres of nature to explore by foot, kayak or canoe
- Address: 100 National Park Rd., Hopkins
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily
- Website: https://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm
- Pricing: Free
- #ProTip: “They loan out wheelchairs at the Visitors Center.” -Anne S.
3. Shepherd’s Center of Columbia
- Offerings: Classes (like yoga, art, writing and Spanish), lunch, guest speakers + more
- Address: 3401 Trenholm Rd.
- Hours: Class times vary; office hours are 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Website: https://shepherdscentercolumbia.org/
- Pricing: Class registration is $35/person, lunch is $9 or BYO
4. Harbison Community Center
- Offerings: Classes like Sit and Fit Aerobics + Senior Cardio
- Address: 106 Hillpine Rd.
- Hours: Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-8 p.m., Sat., 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun., 1-6 p.m. (pool closes at 5 p.m.)
- Website: http://harbisonhoa.com/community-center/seniors/
- Pricing: Free for residents, $4/class or $60 per 20 class pass for non-residents
5. Lexington County Museum
- Offerings: 36 historic buildings with tours and demonstrations for history buffs, gardeners + arts and crafts enthusiasts
- Address: 231 Fox St., Lexington
- Hours: Tues.-Sat., 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun., 1-4 p.m.
- Website: http://lexingtoncountymuseum.org/
- Pricing: $5 (cash or check only)
6. Richland Library
- Offerings: Books, audiobooks + films for checkout — plus events, classes, farmers’ markets, art exhibitions + more
- Address: See branch locations
- Hours: Mon.-Sat., 9 a.m.-1 p.m., 2 p.m.-6 p.m.
- Website: https://www.richlandlibrary.com/
- Pricing: Free
7. The Lourie Center
- Offerings: Physical fitness, educational classes + programs, and social activities
- Address: 1650 Park Circle (Maxcy Gregg Park)
- Hours: Class times vary
- Website: https://louriecentersc.com/
- Pricing: $300/year for full, unlimited membership; see more options here
- #ProTip: “The Lourie Lectures — high quality, varied selection of topics taught by qualified instructors. Because learning never retires…” -Sandra P.
- Offerings: Classes for degree + non-degree seekers, plus events + lecture series open to the public
- Hours: Course + event times vary
- Website: https://sc.edu/
- Pricing: Free tuition for seniors
- #ProTips: “Open Book at USC.” – Barbara W + “Walk around the horseshoe and McKissick Museum.” -Nancy O.
More reader responses:
- Columbia Museum of Art
- Congaree New Horizons Band program
- UofSC community music program for seniors
- Shepherd Center of St. Andrews (meets at Ashland United Methodist Church on Ashland Rd.)
- Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission senior activities
- Soda City
- Columbia Fireflies games
- USC Baseball games
- Mad Platter
- Blue Bike SC station in the BullStreet District
- Riverbanks Zoo
- The Riverwalk
- Sesquicentennial State Park