Earlier this week, we asked y’all for questions and feedback surrounding the protests + how COLAtoday could better serve our community. One of the most commonly asked questions we received was “what are some black-owned businesses I can support in Columbia?”.
We did a little digging, utilized this list of restaurants + this list of Soda City vendors and asked y’all for input to put together a roundup of black and minority-owned businesses in and around Columbia.
Disclaimer: Some businesses may be temporarily closed or offering limited services due to the coronavirus pandemic. We recommend calling or checking social media before visiting.
“If your wedding dress needs alterations, there’s no one better than Mrs. Juanita at Juanita’s Designs!” – @figcolumbia
“Sew Unique Alterations – Mrs. Gail in Cayce! She stays busy but does wonderful work!” – @brumblerumble
“Chayz Lounge. Super place. Great music.” – @helenwinckler
“@tntcolumbia — the owners @tamayahgoodwin and @timgoodwin_tnt are AMAZING and have built such a wonderful community ❤️” – @amandafromnebraska
Food + drink
○ 27 Pancakes Breakfast & Brunch | Food truck
○ 8th Wonder Cuisine | Catering
“Asanka Kitchen is one of the best restaurants in all of Columbia and a true hidden gem” – Will S.
○ Agnes’ Kitchen | Catering
○ Baked by Franny | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Bessie’s Sweet Delights | Find them at Soda City and the Blythewood Farmers Market
“Big Bull’s Bang’n BBQ and Southern Comfort Food is the BEST !!!” – @gordon_jamie
○ Brown Sistaz Island Vibz | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Carolina Donut Diva | Find them at Soda City and Lake Carolina Farmers Market
○ Charming Cupcakes | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Dessert Before Dinner by Keysa | Kitchen/Cooking
“@embellisheddough ✨🍪 bakes delicious, beautiful, custom cookies AND offers cookie decorating classes!” – @savannah_rose_rega
○ Fishin Fellas | Food truck
○ Fleur de Licious Creole | Food truck
○ Front Porch Treats | Find them at Soda City Market
“red velvet waffle is life changing !!” – @maallen30
“Main Street Bakery! Love that place.” – @rhondasrich
○ MainEatz | Food truck
○ Mojak Snacks | Delivery
“Noisey Wings on Bush River Rd has the best wings in town” – Judy S.
“Rawtopian bliss for the vegan food 🤞🏾” – @who_val
“Scott Bennys! My favorite place to eat in Blythewood. Owner is a cool dude.” – Scott S.
○ Smoke it Up | Food truck
○ TRUEhippie Smoothies | Find them at Soda City Market
○ TruJerk Jamaican Cuisine | Food truck
“Mabel is the absolute best!” – @eaborucki
“@carolinahairstudios_mainstreet — Tia is the only woman I trust with my hair. Incredible studio!” – @reganfreeman
“Polish 2 Perfection in Irmo, they are wonderful! They give the best manicure & pedicure!” – @jeyes4us
“@pinpointvisual Great photographer and videographer” – @myreinvintage
○ A Stitch of Faith | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Bend A Lights | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Carolina Clutches | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Healing Gems LLC | Find them at Soda City Market
○ Maman Afrique Boutique | Find them at Soda City
“@myreinvintage is one of my favorite stores!! Everything is so beautiful 💗” – @missyandtots
○ Southpaw Cigarbox Guitars | Find them at Soda City Market
“@sunriseartisan in 5 points!! The best soap shop, hands down” – @annielou1212
○ Your Best Friend’s Closet | Find them at Soda City Market