Whether you’re building from the ground up, going through an urgent repair, or adding value to your house, renovations and repairs can transform your home. With summer in full swing, the goal is to work smarter, not harder so you have more free time on your hands and money in your pocket.
Thanks to you and your suggestions, we’ve gathered your tips and local business recommendations to help out around your home along with some other resources specific to Richland County.
Mortgage Maven - Assurance Financial | “Home renovations can be costly but the value added to your home can far outweigh the cost of the work. As a mortgage lender, I offer renovation loans for primary, vacation, and investment property purchases and refinances. I also offer Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOCs) and Home Equity Loans. These types of funding provide renovation opportunities for folks who lack the cash or who don’t want to spend their hard-earned money in a lump sum.” – Abi A.
First Citizens Home Improvement Loan | “First Citizens Bank offers a great Home Improvement Loan with a small interest rate that is not comparable to other competitors!” – Pamela A.
Willie Smith and Associates | “I recommend Willie Smith and Associates, for expert flooring and other household installations. I found them on Angie’s website. Thorough, honest, clean, and fast work. Did an awesome job on my kitchen floors!” – Deb B.
Better Business Bureau | “Check out your contractor at the Better Business Bureau. You can find out if they are properly licensed, what kind of ratings and reviews they have from previous work done, and you will have free mediation if things go south!” – Marlo K.
Renovation + repair
Bennett’s Cabinets | “Bennett’s Cabinets makes custom cabinets for your kitchen and bath. New builds and home remodeling.” – Dawn B.
Home Team Renovations | Reader suggestion from @kristinblakely
Nation Builders | Reader suggestion from @jollyrobbin
ProLift Garage Doors of Lake Murray | “I am totally biased, but I would like to suggest a new garage door. Did you know that replacing your garage door, the largest piece of moving equipment in/on your entire home, nearly pays for itself with 94% of the cost being recuperated in value here in the Columbia, SC market?” – Kyle C.
Punch List Pros | Reader suggestion from @Pottsmarilyn
Richland County Resources
Operation One Touch | This grant provides up to $12,000 in funds per home for eligible repairs and was created to provide assistance to low and moderate-income residents.
Bailey Bill | Are you renovating a historic home? Then you could be eligible for the Bailey Bill that allows a 20-year tax break on your property.
- Columbia Electric Service, 2246 Foreman St., Cayce | reader recommendation: Patrick Baxley
- Easy Electrical Solutions, 525 Graymont Ave. | reader recommendation: Dennis O’Toole
- Elite Electrical, Columbia, S.C. | reader recommendation: Steven Meetze + Ricky Smith
“Easy electrical solutions — been using them for years.... truly the best!!” – Bethany B.
- AFAB Services, 112 Carolina Ln., Swansea
- AllPro Improvements, 311 Harmon St., Lexington
- Capital Kitchen and Bath, 1801 Gervais St., Suite B
- Carolina Remodeling and Renovations, Columbia S.C.
- Complete Solutions Contracting, Columbia, S.C.
- Cooper’s Land and Home, Columbia, S.C. | reader recommendation: David Cooper
- Dennis Home Improvement LLC, 3519 N Beltline Blvd.
- Franklin Smith & Co. LLC, Columbia, S.C.
- Home Team Renovations, 6511 Satchelford Rd. | reader recommendation: Daniel Hudson
- Jackson Quality Construction, 633 Saddlebrook Ln., Hopkins
- Covert Homes, 201 Lake Carolina Blvd., Blythewood
- Practically Perfect SC, Columbia, S.C. | reader recommendation: Ryan Parsons
- Southern Elite Builders LLC, Columbia, S.C. | reader recommendation: Chuck White
- TFO Contracting Solutions, 849 Shelter Cove Ct.
- The Rick Buys Houses, 28 Castle Hill Ln.
- Wise Guys LLC, 722 Heyward St. | reader recommendation: Rob Lindsey
“I’m scared to share his name because then he might become too busy to do things for me, but David Cooper with Cooper Land and Home in Lexington is amazing. He built a pool house for me in 6 weeks over the time that included Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and like 7 inches of rain. He really moved fast and did an amazing job.” – Ben J.
“Jackson Quality Construction (JQC) is my go-to for all my home needs. Shaun Jackson and his team are awesome and so professional and committed. I would recommend JQC to anyone in the market for a great contractor!” – Rashanda A.
“I highly recommend Christy Davis for interior design. She helped us with a kitchen renovation + new construction in a bathroom and outdoor patio & everything turned out beautifully. She offered suggestions for architectural and design options that we would have never thought of on our own . . . and brought in features that elevated each of our spaces to the next level.” – Ashley C.
“ScoPro Services for painting (interior or exterior) and power washing.” – Grayson H.
- Cook Plumbing | reader recommendation: Dave Cook
- Meetze Plumbing, 10009 Broad River Rd., Irmo
- Plumb Time, 121 Carlsbad Ct., West Columbia
“Plumb time — also been using for years!! Also the best!” – Bethany B.
Windows + Doors
- Ace Glass, 5506 Two Notch Rd. | Glass
- Atlantic Windows and Doors, 321 Community Rd., Blythewood
- Budget Blinds of Forest Lake, Columbia, S.C.
“Atlantic Windows and Doors. No high-pressure sales pitches and super knowledgeable! Great service from a reliable company.” – Gwen D.
- Chimspector, 920 Hemlock Rd. | Chimney/Fireplace
- Cool Care Heating and Air, 3102 Bronx Rd. | Heating + A/C
- Diming Digs, Columbia, S.C. | reader recommendation: Patrick Diming | Cement
- The Guttermen, 3631 Delree St., West Columbia | Gutters
- Ricky Sox Fence, 4857 Platt Springs Rd., West Columbia | Fencing
“Patrick Dimig at Dimig Digs (cement) did excellent work for us!” – Angi W.