Tatum here. There is so much to learn about health + wellness that it’s hard to know where to begin — especially if you don’t have access to the right resources. I recently learned that Palmetto Primary Care Physicians — a healthcare provider in SC — offers free virtual Health & Wellness classes.
Palmetto Primary Care Physicians offers 3 customized programs: Living Well, Diabetes, and Pre-Diabetes. They are taught by health and wellness experts including dietitians, pharmacists, and a behavioral health specialist. The goal is to encourage patients to meet their health goals.
I took the “Diabetes” course and gained so much insight. Here’s what I learned and how you can #TryThis.
What we tried (with pricing):
I took the “Diabetes” class for free — all Health & Wellness courses are offered at no cost. The lesson was taught by a pharmacist and a registered dietitian and was administered via Zoom.
I became educated about the fundamentals of the disease + discovered why it is important to control your blood sugar. While a healthy diet and regular exercise were emphasized, I also learned that medication is not a last resort and can be a great tool in your toolbox to lead a healthier life.
What not to miss:
- Add the class to your calendar and take note of the meeting passcode. It’s also a good idea to test your internet earlier in the day and join the meeting early.
- Set up somewhere comfortable. If you’re on your laptop, make sure it’s plugged in or your charger is handy. Your class may be several hours long.
- Have a notepad at the ready. You’ll want to jot down key points, dietary advice + questions you want to ask later.
What we’re still talking about:
The Diabetes lesson was welcoming and nonjudgmental. Questions were encouraged + answered with respect, and could be asked aloud or in the chat. Attendees could use their webcams and microphones or opt out of either.
How you can experience this:
Classes are offered to Palmetto Primary Care Physicians patients in the Lowcountry, Midlands, and Grand Strand areas of SC. Anyone who is interested should find an office near you + request an appointment. Ask your medical provider for a referral — the provider will be able to determine which course(s) will help you reach your health goals.
Things to know if you go:
- Experience: Health & Wellness Class: Diabetes
- Price: Free
- Website: https://palmettoprimarycare.com/Pages/Education.aspx
- Address: Virtual
- Hours: Class dates + times vary
- Social: Facebook | YouTube Ⓟ