Sun’s out, buns out — hot dog buns, that is. From community grillouts to baseball game brats, summer really is the season of the hot dog. That’s why we’ve rounded up eight local spots to get your frank fix.
Devine Cinnamon Roll Deli, 2617 Devine St. | Where else will you get a giant hot dog that will fill you up with a renowned cinnamon roll on the side?
- Pro tip: The Devine Street restaurant is working on renovations, but it’s still open and takes online orders.
Drake’s Duck-In, 1544 Main St. | Fried chicken isn’t all the downtown staple serves — grab a hot dog, ask for it to be all the way, and drink a pink lemonade on the side.
- Editor’s pick: If you’re ever in the mood, the chicken salad is one of the best low-key menu items.
Jimmy’s Mart, 9900 Two Notch Rd. | Located in an Exxon gas station, this spot is regarded as one of the best places to grab a hot dog in the Midlands.
- Pro tip: Jimmy’s is also known for selling winning lottery tickets, so if you’re feeling lucky, grab one on the way out.
Mack’s Cash Grocery, 1809 Laurel St. | It’s hard not to order the cheeseburger, but the downtown eatery that’s only open for breakfast + lunch serves a great hot dog.
- Pro tip: Look like a local and enter through the back door where the line starts.
The Other Store, 4130 Bethel Church Rd. | A basic hot dog made behind the convenience store counter is a perfect afternoon snack in our book.
- Pro tip: Separate from the restaurant in the back, this basic hot dog will hit the spot.
Rosewood Dairy Bar, 3003 Rosewood Dr. | The classic walk-up spot on Rosewood serves delicious classic dogs.
- Editor’s pick: If a slaw dog is your thing, this is the perfect spot to snag it.
Rush’s, Various locations | Rush’s is the answer when you’re craving a hot dog, but don’t want to get out of the car.
- Editor’s note: Rush’s lists the hot dog under sandwiches. Do with that what you will.
Zesto West Columbia, 504 12th St. | Locals know Zesto is the place to go for a great hot dog and a dipped cone for dessert.
- Pro tip: Hold your hot dog high, take a picture with the cone in the sky and tag #Colatoday.