Watch out for ladders and black cats in your path today, Cola. It’s officially Friday the 13th, commonly known as the most unlucky day of the year. We won’t see another until January of next year, so here are four ways to make your own luck today.
- Get some new ink. Look out for Friday the 13th tattoo deals at Devine Street Tattoo and other local shops, and check out our list of local tattoo parlors to find your lucky match. Pro tip: Head to your favorite shop early to grab your spot in line.
- Watch a scary movie. Pick up to-go popcorn from The Nick — like Dawn Staley does — and settle in for the night with the classic “Friday The 13th.”
- If you’re feline lucky, may we suggest adopting a black cat? Fig is adorable and available at Columbia Animal Services (127 Humane Ln.)
- Have a busy day at the office, but still want to get in the mood? Tune into South Carolina Public Radio’s podcast “South of Spooky” where they explore local legends in the Midlands and beyond.
- Learn about the origins of the superstitions from USC professor emeritus of sociology Barry Markovsky.