City Editor Sam here. If I could sum up Franklin Tennessee in one feeling it would be Hygge — a cozy quality that makes a person feel content + comfortable. It’s always my go-to destination if I’m craving a getaway during the fall.
This quaint Tennessee town explodes with color thanks to its many trees changing into bright autumn hues. Take my word for it, there’s nothing more fall-feeling than sipping a hot coffee when a crisp breeze hits and crunchy leaves scatter across the historic downtown district. 🍁
- This town, located 21-miles outside of Nashville, TN, is known for its Great American Main Street, designated by The National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1995.
- Franklin was featured on Travel + Leisure’s list as one of the “50 Best Places to Travel in 2022.”
- Don’t miss the Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge — an iconic scenic bridge part of The Natchez Trace Parkway that is ~10 miles from Franklin. It’s a winding, two-lane roadway that’s 444-miles long. Drive through three states or just check out some stunning views while in town.
- Find a travel guide here.
- Food: Pastries. There’s nothing better than homemade comfort breads + sweet treats. Visit Merridee’s Breadbasket located in the historic district of Franklin (110 4th Ave S.) , which has been featured on Food Network’s “Best of Baker’s Show” + in Southern Living Magazine. All pastries, brownies, pies, and breads are made from scratch.
- If you’re planning on going in the fall, you don’t want to miss one of town’s largest fall festivals — Pumpkinfest — which ususally happens on the last week before Halloween. Experience a full day of autumn-inspired family activities, live music, costume contests, vendors, foods, and drinks with ~70,000 people.
- If you decide to visit in late fall, attend the Christmas Tree Lighting on the Square, happening this year on Fri., Dec. 2, 6:30-8 p.m. This year’s tree lighting will feature Matthew West — the five-time Grammy nominee + Christian Music Songwriter/Artist of the Year winner.
Where to stay:
- Vrbo: Cozy Tiny House in Historic Franklin, TN, less than 10 minutes from Downtown Franklin (~$160/night)*
- Airbnb: Charming Cottage in The heart of Downtown Franklin, a cozy cottage located just blocks from Main Street + the historic district. (~$115/night)
- Boutique hotel: The Harpeth Hotel, Franklin’s first boutique luxury hotel (~$530/night)