We are ~4 weeks into 2021 (even if it’s felt like months), and with a New Year comes new projects, plans, and additions to our ever-changing skyline. And, after the year we just had, it’s no surprise that Columbia is jonesin’ for something new to look forward to – development-wise, that is.
Here’s an update on what’s coming to Columbia in 2021:
○ There are 5-6 retail + restaurant spaces being planned for the corner of Huger + Blossom St., formerly home to Columbia Antique Mall. The development’s anchor space (4,000-6,500 sqft.) is being envisioned as a restaurant with a rooftop bar (pictured above).
○ Mark Anthony Brewing (read: the maker of White Claw, Mike’s Hard Lemonade + more) is developing a $400 million, 1 million+ sqft. brewing facility in the Pineview Industrial Park (off of Shop Road). Construction on the brewery – one of the largest built in the country in 25 years – is expected to be complete by summer 2021. More here.
○ Smoked is planned to open at 1643 Main St. this fall. The new restaurant and microbrewery is under the umbrella of developer Scott Middleton (which includes The Grand, The Main Course + more, also on the 1600 block). We’ll have more on this soon. 👀
○ One block away from Main St., The Lady is a new downtown apartment community with 109 one- to three-bedroom apartments. The building’s ground floor contains 3 retail spaces – all currently available for lease.
○ Smoked developer Scott Middleton is also working on opening a sports-themed brewery in the old Stone Manufacturing plant on North Main St. We’ll keep you updated.
What else is coming to Cola this year?
○ We have our eyes on the BullStreet District, where WestLawn – a sustainably-built, 75,000-sqft. office building – is planned to open in the first half of 2022, located adjacent to REI (which opened its doors this summer).
○ We love a QT. With 4 Columbia-area locations for the gas station/convenience store chain announced back in September, QuikTrip recently purchased a portion of the development tract at Spears Creek Church Rd. and I-20.
While we wait for these new developments to take their final form, it’s exciting to take a look back at what was under construction this past summer + note how far we’ve come. Looking at you, Savage Craft Ale Works, Enzo’s, Ratio, femme x Columbia, and the BullStreet Starbucks (just to name a few). 👋
Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a comprehensive list of all upcoming developments in the Midlands region. If there is a recently-announced development you feel should be included, please let us know below. Ⓟ