Table of Contents
Many citizens know what the Blue Bikes are but may not know how to use them. That’s where we come in. That’s where we come in. We’re giving you a step-by-step how-to guide so you feel confident and spoked to ride these bikes around town.
✋ Before you go
- You have the choice between a regular bike or an all-electric assist bike (indicated with a lightning bolt decal on the back wheel.) Pro tip: the all-electric bike is recommended if you want assistance on hilly terrain or want to travel a bit faster.
- Decide how long and often you’d like to use the Blue Bikes. Explore the seven different payment options, ranging from $2.16 for a 45-minute Pay Per Ride to $102.60 for an Annual PLUS membership.
- Download the Blue Bike mobile app.
- Choose where you want to start and finish your ride using the interactive map feature. If you need some inspiration, explore popular itineraries.
🚲 Let’s ride
- Once you decide on a starting point, use the mobile app to unlock your bike and pull the bike out of the dock.
- Follow these safety tips.
- Once you finish your ride, find a docking station, push the bike firmly into the dock, and wait for the sound and the “docked bike” indication.
- DYK — the Blue Bike app keeps track of how many calories you’ve burned, how many miles you’ve traveled, the duration of your ride, and more?
✅ Pro tips
- Make sure to effectively inspect your bike before riding.
- You can ride anywhere as long as you remain within the system area and leaving the system area can result in penalties.
Want to see the Blue Bikes in action? Click here to read through City Editor David’s experience when he tagged along on a Let’s Meat Less group bike ride.